Monday, October 26, 2015

Chile Relleno Bake

My Mom and I's favorite dish when we go to Mexican restaurants is Chile Relleno. We both love the mix of pepper and gooey cheese. When surfing Pinterest one day I found this recipe for a Chile Relleno bake, I just had to try it.
The recipe was very pretty simple but did call for making your own enchilada sauce, which I did not. I used up some sauce I had from Trader Joe's.
 Here is how I made the recipe.
Ingredients:
Poblano Peppers, 5 or 6
Egg Whites, 4
1 C Milk
1/3 C Flour
1/2 bag of Shredded Cheddar
2/3 cup Enchilada Sauce
Preheat the broiler to high (My broiler doesn't have a temp setting). Prepare a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with non-stick spray (Liberally, I didn't do enough spray). Cut the top of the peppers off, removing the stems and seeds, then slice in half length wise. Place them skin side up on a baking sheet and stick them under the broiler for about 10 minutes or until they just begin to soften. Once out of the oven any parts that get to brown I pulled off the skin.
Whisk the egg whites, milk and flour together in a bowl.
Turn down the oven to 350. Place a single layer of peppers in the casserole dish, ladle one large spoonful of egg mixture over peppers.Sprinkle with 1/2 the cheese.
Repeat with a second layer. 
Pour the sauce over the top.
 Bake at 350 for about an hour, until it’s bubbly and the egg mixture is set.  
Mouse and I loved it. I served it topped with sour cream, avocados and cilantro. This was definitely easier than trying to make true Chile Rellenos.
~ Cassi
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...