Monday, May 6, 2013

Finding Beauty

People magazine has come out with their new World's Most Beautiful People list and there is no surprise in their choice Gwyneth Paltrow. 

She is very tall, pale blonde and skinny, this alone is hard for the majority of people to achieve. But that is not what is the most disheartening what is; is our culture doesn't truly look for their natural beauty. Don't believe me check it out. 

See those pictures are so touched up that anyone would be able to win with a team touch up artists behind the scenes. How are we suppose to raise daughters in a society that believes true beauty is only achieved through airbrushing. 

It makes my heart heavy and overwhelmed to figure out how to fight this. How do I teach that true beauty is more than what our culture says it is?

I want my daughter to grow up with less (yes, less I have no idealistic thought of removing all of them) self-doubt than I had. I want her to understand how beautiful she truly is. 

And this post has no answers just a voice into the void we call the web. To hopefully make us think on how to answer. 

I will end with Mouse's favorite verse. 



And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin
Matthew 6:28

~ Cassi



Pin It

3 comments:

  1. beautiful post, as mother to an only son I worry about how he will view woman as he grows. When I do wear makeup, which is very rare, I always say it's just to enhance what I already love about my eyes (and I really only do eye makeup.
    .
    I am always telling him that real beauty is what you are born with. I love my body, my curly frizzy hair, my freckled nose, all my beauty marks and mole above my lip.
    .
    I tell my mom to stop when she says she doesn't look good for pics, he hears it and thinks that you have to look "great" for pictures. We take pics of how we are and we love who and what we are.
    .
    that quote is perfect, and I truly hope more woman will see their beauty and not what society tells them beautiful should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what, my self-image came from two places growing up. 1) Being taught that I am made in the image of God, and that is amazing, and 2) My father always gave me specific complements. He would tell me how pretty my hair looked or that he loved to watch my long fingered on the piano keyboard. I think dad's are really powerful to daughter's in this regard. As much as I liked boys in high school, I wasn't looking for one to validate my worth or beauty. I already had a father and a Heavenly Father to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. My daughter is 9 and the biggest thing that we've done so far is to be honest with our daughter. For as long as I can remember, we've made sure that she knows that those women & girls don't look "that" perfect in real life. They have blemishes and tummies and don't always look totally perfect. All that we can do is what we think is best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...