Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Green Room - Stillwater, MN

A few Saturdays ago, Steve and I went to Stillwater with a girlfriend of mine and her husband. First let me mention this friend and I have known each other since we were four years old. It amazes me that we've been able to weather out all these years together and still have fun being together. When Steve and I want to be foodies, they are the first couple we think to have join us.
So we decide to do a food tour of Stillwater. Stillwater is this great town in Minnesota that has a ton of little shops and antiques but it is also becoming a trendy food place too. We decided to meet at Savouries for appetizers. This place was nothing to write home about and it was closing the next week. That is the one problem with Stillwater that it is so trendy that the restaurants & shops don't last long.
My review of our dinner: For dinner we went to The Green Room. This place has become my new favorite food place. To start the place is small and dark, a little to dark for me. The two level dining room and exposed brick is a nice feature. Though the brick made it difficult to sit in the benches. 
Not this brick the other side is uneven white brick.
The drink menu  was long enough to offer options in style and price point but not so long you get lost in it. The menu it self is well written and you want to try everything. They also have a small Indian portion to their menu which is nice for this curry loving group. Though only Maggie went for the curry and ordered the Mahi Mahi in Spicy Red Curry. Her husband ordered the Risotto Crusted Salmon. I ordered the Grilled Beef Tenderloin served with Balsamic Cabernet Demi, Balsamic Braised Figs, Grilled Vegetables and  Risotto Cake.
Let me start by saying the portions are huge for a place like this. Chris's salmon was the biggest piece I have ever seen a restaurant serve. My tenderloin was at least 3 inches thick. The demi-glaze was thick and dark and not to sweet. The risotto cake made me want to lick my plate clean. I can't recommend this restaurant enough for their food. The waitstaff was also very good. I like any place that has adult servers. Ours had tried the menu and knew what to recommend.

Steve's Review:  Walking into the Green Room I thought, oh oh, small and busy.  I'll be cramped but it was remarkably roomy for this long, ally style restaurant.  I ordered the bone in pork chop over wild rice.  For a drink I could not decide and ordered a Brandy Coke.  It was basically a big shot of Brandy, but I won't complain about that.  When the food arrived I was surprised by the size of my chop.  Over an inch thick.  Charred but only enough to add some flavor.  The wild rice was a little undercooked and after tasting Cassi's risotto I was disappointed in my wild rice.  Over all the atmosphere and food makes the Green Room a top 5 restaurant for me.  I am looking forward to going back.

We ended the night with coffee and gelato at Luna Rossa. Their coffee was perfect for the cooling evening which for Minnesota was still warm. We sat on their large outdoor eating area, which was fun to people watch. The espresso and biscotti flavored gelato that Maggie and I ordered was so yummy. It was a perfect way to end the evening.

~Cassi & Steve

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Although I grew up in and still live in MN, I've never actually been to Stillwater. (Yikes.) Sounds like if I ever go, I have some restaurants to check out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...