Monday, March 21, 2011

Veggie Soup


The smell of this soup cooking warmed me to my toes. We have been trying to add more soups to our menu this winter. And with the length this winter is going we should be able to add a few more to our before it's done. Don't let the ingredients scare you it tastes wonderful. Another recipe from my Bon Appetit magazine.

This recipe called for carrots, onions, kale, rutabagas and celery root. This one was a first for us. It also called for a lot of lentils and vegetable broth then seasoned with herbs De Provence. So here is the recipe in the magazine and here is how I made it.

Diced all of the veggies (minus the kale) and sauteed them in a bit olive oil until softened. Tossed this mixture with the herbs. In a crock-pot I added the vegetable broth and the bag lentils. I added the veggies to the crock-pot and set it to high. Steve and I had a counseling appointment so we left this cook until we came back about 2 hours. Everything was cooked perfectly.

Things I would change for next time. I would minus the lentils in half or added four more cups of broth. But this recipe made a ton so I think I would just minus the lentils. It was a little to thick for my tastes. Steve liked it thick, so it is all on preference. I would also minus the kale. I, personally, like kale but in this recipe it just didn't work well.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, I love soups! J.D. doesn't think they're filling enough, though so I have to serve something else with them. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...