Friday, June 19, 2015

Fearing the Fake

Today is Five Minute Fridays so lets link up and write
So I write for Five minute, no edits, no re dos and at the end I will see if there are pictures from my week Instagram feed that match the words of this week.
Topic: Fear
This past week Steve and I were in Las Vegas for a few days for a work conference. During my down time, we walked the strip and visited as many places as we could. One thing kept coming back to me with each new location and new advertisement we saw.
I wouldn't want my child to grow up there, it promoted everything I fear for my daughter. Now stop before you think I mean all of Nevada or even all of Las Vegas I don't! But right down on the strip it is bad. Not the bad because every corner markets strip clubs, yes it is bad but not where I was going with this post.
The bad in I found Vegas to really promote the fake beauty. There was not a single restaurant / bar that we stopped in that had modest uniforms. So in order to work at any of those places you have to have a certain look (ultra slim and well endowed). Now I know not all of them are like that, but the ones we saw were. Also over half the girls we saw had work down to fit the "well endowed" look.
But it wasn't just the food industry, every advertisement (and there are ads EVERYWHERE) showed scantily clad tourist or overly airbrushed dancers.
In raising Mouse, I try so hard to promote a healthy body image. That when she looks at media today in its bombardment of sexualized women, she knows she doesn't have to attain that to be beautiful.
Vegas increased that message to both men and women by 100 fold. I would find it trying and hard to combat that image to my daughter. I truly fear for the young girls growing up there. Why? Because I know not all of them will have mothers or fathers who remind them they are beautiful with out the fake.
"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful, I know that full well."

~ Psalm 139:14
~ Cassi

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...