Tuesday, March 13, 2012

German Restaurant Review

A few weeks ago on one of our date nights, Steve and I went to Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter.
It is a old school German restaurant. So classic, that I was sure Gustaf would come in singing and swinging from the the rafters at any minute (Beauty and The Beast reference). But sadly there was no over sized cartoon character but there was some good comfort food.
Steve spent some time living in one of Minnesota's classic German towns (New Ulm) so he loves when he can get that feeling back of the town. And this place did not let down.
I ordered Rahm Schnitzel: Breaded Pork Cutlets in a sour cream sauce served with mashed potatoes and red cabbage. It was a huge portion. I ate quite a bit and Steve still had some to bring to work the next day. The red cabbage was cooked in Gluhwein: warmed spice wine it was so good.
For dessert I had Honey Cider: Barenjaeger honey schnapps with hot cider.

Steve had the nightly special which consisted of breaded chicken with asparagus on top covered in a cream sauce. Since I am not a fan of asparagus, I can't tell you how is was. He said that he would have liked it better without the asparagus too, but that was because they were a little tough.
For dessert Steve had Rudesheimer Coffee: Imported Asbach Brandy, coffee, whipped cream and Chocolate sprinkles. Which I laughed about when it came out since it was kind of girly looking.
All said we'd can't wait to take Mouse there, but have her watch Beauty and the Beast first (Yes I know it's not set in Germany but it has the same rustic feel). They have a Sunday brunch that we think we'll try next.

~ Cassi


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...