Monday, January 17, 2011

Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows

I was inspired to try my hand at marshmallows this weekend. And really they weren't as bad as I thought they would be. In fact they were pretty easy. First I got all my ingredients together.
I followed Alton Brown's recipe, you can get it here.
I put the gelatin in my mixing bowl and let it sit for awhile. Lets first mention that I don't read directions that good. I mixed the gelatin with warm water not ice water (it didn't seem to matter). Also I didn't realize I was slight short the amount of corn syrup need for this recipe but it turned out fine. I forgot to take a picture of the boiling sugar. Which would have been a great picture it looked cool. Mouse loved watching the thermometer rise.
Then adding the boiling sugar to the gelatin was not as scary as I thought it would be. I had visions of spraying hot liquid but none of that happened. After this picture I turned up the speed and watched the mixture turn into FLUFF!
Oh, how I love Fluff! Peanut Butter and Fluff could be one of my favorite sandwiches. I purposely don't buy it so I can't eat the whole jar.
Once the Fluff was to the right thickness, I poured it out into a greased and powdered 9 X 13 pan then powered the top. The pan then sat on the counter over night.
The next morning Mouse and worked on making the squares. I cut them into squares with a pizza cutter.
Mouse helped by dredging the squares into more of the powder mixture. She loved being able to help.
Here is the finished product. They turned out perfect in constancy. I would cut the amount of vanilla in the next batch, they are a little too vanilla for me. I also picked up some coconut extract the next batch I am going to try that then dip them in chocolate.

1 comment:

  1. Your daughter looks just like you in this one!!

    www.shutthefridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...