Friday, August 22, 2014

Her Best Friend

Today is Five Minute Fridays so lets link up and write
So I write for Five minute, no edits, no re dos and at the end I will see if there are pictures from my week Instagram feed that match the words of this week.
Topic: Change
 
Mouse attended a summer camp program this year focused on the Arts. They did a play, song / dance and painted pictures. This was Mouse's masterpiece from the week. It says "Mother's Best Friend".
 
This was so bittersweet because I know in just a few short years that we are going to CHANGE. We will be hitting the worst in Mother / Daughter relationships. She is becoming a teen faster than I want.
How do I maintain and grow a relationship with her in the midst of teenage angst?

Now let me get something straight I whole heartily agree with this poem.
"I am not your friend. I am your Mother.
 I will stalk you, flip out on you, lecture you, drive you insane,
be your worst nightmare & hunt you down like a bloodhound
when needed because I LOVE YOU!
When you understand that, I will know you are a responsible adult.
You will never find someone who loves, prays,
cares and worries about you more than
I do!"
~ Unknown

But as teens changes, I need to stay her friend (though she will not be mine) does this make sense? In my head it does. Because teens are soo focused on friends and the importance of friends,  I need to stay her friend at the same time I need to be the Mom.

But for right now I am going to stare at my beautiful gift and think back on all our moments. I am going to hug her tight and not think about this upcoming change. I am going to smile in knowing that right now I am her best friend.

~ Cassi
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I've been feeling the same way with my child lately, although I'm at a much earlier stage than you are... in my case, it's still toddler sleep deprivation. I have to remind myself that in about ten years, I'll be annoyed he's sleeping until noon. For now, as tired as I am, I really should enjoy the fact that he wants to cuddle with us to sleep at night and that we're the most amazing parents he's ever seen (because oh, how I know that'll change when he's a teen!) :)

    Happy Friday!

    - Melissa
    http://www.measi.net/measiblog/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both my daughters have now hit the teens and this is something that I think about too. What I try to do is be there for them. Talk to them. Try to show them that I am there if they need if. It is in doing this that I believe that they will still wish to spend time with me as they hit adulthood.
    (visiting from FMF)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! We love to read your comments. In this crazy world it sometimes takes me a bit to get back to you right away, but please know that we are trying, especially if you ask a question or invite us over to your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...